Boston Shooters – Toronto 2007
Congratulations...we won the Division Championship and qualified for the HNA Championships in Toronto! :-)
Below are come information for the tournament weekend. Hope you can make it...we always have a great time there! :-)
|1||Friday||Jun-01||1:45 PM||Westwood 2||N.J. Ice Dragons|
|2||Saturday||Jun-02||12:30 PM||Westwood 5||Chicago Eagles|
|3||Saturday||Jun-02||5:50 PM||Chesswood 1||@ Philly Galaxy|
|Semis||Sunday||Jun-03||10:55 AM||Westwood 4||TBA|
|Finals||Sunday||Jun-03||1:30 PM||Westwood 1||TBA|
90 Woodbine Downs Blvd.
Rexdale, ON M9W 5S6
Directions to Westwood:
- From the International Plaza, exit the parking lot and turn left onto Dixon Road.
- Take the ramp on your right for Hwy 27 North.
- Stay on 27 for several minutes and look for Finch Ave (there's a supermarket at the corner).
- Continue on 27 past Finch, and take your next left onto Carrier Drive.
- Take the next right onto Woodbine Downs Blvd, and the rink will be on your left.
4000 Chesswood Drive
Downsview, ON M3J 2B9
Here's a list of everyone's status, how we're getting there, and where we're staying:
|33||Dave Sutherby||YES!!!||Same as Ken||Rooming w/ brother Mike|
|3||Mark Adamoyurka||YES!!!||Fly to Buffalo Thursday PM, drive to Toronto Friday AM w/ Gadi & Lorin *||Rooming w/ Gadi|
|12||Lorin Alusic||YES!!!||Same as Mark ???|
|14||Mike Sutherby||YES!!!||Same as Ken||Rooming w/ brother Dave|
|15||Alex Chou||No for Friday, yes Saturday & Sunday||Fly to Toronto Saturday AM, leave Sunday PM||Rooming w/ ???|
|19||Tim Hamm||YES!!!||Same as Seth||Rooming w/ Ken|
|21||David Statham||YES!!!||Fly to Toronto Thursday PM||Staying w/ brother in Toronto|
|23||Phil Young||YES!!!||Same as Seth|
|27||Ken Mosher||YES!!!||Fly to Buffalo, drive to Toronto Thursday PM w/ Sutherbys.||Rooming w/ Hammer|
|28||Gadi Reinhorn||YES!!!||Same as Mark||Rooming w/ Mark|
|36||Seth Rudin||YES!!!||Fly to Buffalo Thursday PM, drive to Toronto Friday AM w/ Todd & Hammer *||Rooming w/ Todd|
|42||Todd Neustat||YES!!!||Same as Seth||Rooming w/ Seth|
|97||Tim Lilley||YES!!!||Fly to Buffalo and drive to Toronto Thursday PM||Own room|
* Spending Thursday night at Hotel Reinhorn
YES!!!: Goalie + 11 skaters
Probably, part-time: 2 skaters
No, doubtful: 4 skaters
[ Top ]
- The tournament dates are June 1–3, 2007 (Friday–Sunday).
- We're guaranteed three games in pool/round-robin play: One game Friday afternoon/evening and two on Saturday.
- If we qualify, playoffs (up to two more games) are Sunday morning and early afternoon.
- Same rules as the regular HNA season: 15-minute stop-time periods, no checking, full slapshots, etc.
- The rinks and team hotel will be near the Toronto Airport, about a 1/2 hour outside of downtown.
- There are many tiers/levels for the tournament, so we should be competing against other D-ish teams.
Here are some stuff from the league:
- Official Championships package from the league – This is mostly stuff for me, but please pay attention to the last page regarding the colour coordination requirements!
- Championship Hotels – Some special deals on hotels near the tournament rinks. (More info on accommodations below.)
[ Top ]
Getting There (And Coming Back):
Note: Please plan your travel so that you arrive by Friday noon! This guarantees that you will make our first game, regardless of when it's scheduled.
Here is the team's recommendation for transportation:
- Fly from Boston to Buffalo on Thursday night – as low as $39 one way on JetBlue.
- Rent a car for four days – starting at $180 but you can split with a teammate.
- Spend Thursday night at Gadi's parents' place.
- Drive to Toronto Friday morning – about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Drive back to Buffalo Sunday night and stay at Hotel Reinhorn again.
- Fly back to Boston Monday morning – again as low as $39.
If you choose to drive there, it's 8–10 hours each way:
- Take I-90 W until you're almost at Buffalo. (When you're near Albany, you have the option of staying on tne NY Thruway, where you'll "exit" onto I-87 for a while before getting back on I-90.)
- Take I-290 W and I-190 W to Niagara Falls and the Canadian border.
- Take Hwy-405 W for a few miles.
- Take QEW toward Toronto until Exit 139 (about 60 miles).
- Take Hwy-427 N (Exit 139) for a few miles.
- Exit at Dixon Road, which is where all the tournament hotels are located.
If you need to work Thursday, do the first half of the drive Thursday night, spend the night near Syracuse, Geneva, Batavia, or any other town along the Thurway, and finish the drive Friday morning.
You also have the option of flying directly to Toronto. It's expensive and you'll need a passport, but it's the fastest way to get there. Here's info for:
It's safe to book your return trip for Sunday evening. The entire tournament should conclude by mid-afternoon.
[ Top ]
The team hotel will be decided by Wednesday May 9 based on the result of a team poll. The options are:
- Westin Bristol Place – At $115 CAD per night, it's a great deal for a Westin hotel! :-) Parking is included, but no hot tub.
- DoubleTree International Plaza – We stayed here in 2003 and 2004 and loved the hot tub! :-) The prices have gone up since then...it's now $107 CAD per night, which does not include parking (another $10 CAD per day). (Note: This is not an official tournament hotel, but that matters not.)
- Airport Marriott – The Sharpshooters stayed here last year, and we enjoyed our visit. Cost is $109 CAD per night, which includes parking. No hot tub though.
[ Top ]